Dear Beauty & "Health" Industry,
I would like to share 10 things that I would greatly benefit your business. I believe that it can teach you how to better interact, sell and market to women who no longer want to be or feel ashamed of the way they look.
1. We already have bikini-ready bodies. You don't need to tell us how great we will look in it if we diet and exercise.
2. We are going to look beautiful in our wedding dress no matter our size. Thanks anyway.
3. Tracking and measuring our food makes us obsessed with a stupid number and fosters fear of food, not being healthy.
4. Scales are stupid.
5. There is no such thing as a goal weight - our size does not determine if we are a good or bad person. You're not going to lose 50 lbs and automatically love yourself more. You have to change your mindset and motivation FIRST. If you can't love yourself at 200 lbs, you won't magically love yourself at 150 lbs.
6. Shaming us for what we eat and restricting what we eat creates...
I was driving in my car to a friend’s last night and an advertisement for a local fitness business came on. Instead of motivating me to use their business, it did the opposite of what I think it was intending to do. It ENRAGED me. Yes, I know, enrage is a strong word. But man, I was fired UP! Especially after my fb live talk with Carolyn Campbell about shifting to be more “Body Positive”. If you haven’t seen it, then I highly recommend it. You can find it here "Your weight is the least interesting thing about you" .
The advert on the radio wasn’t anything different than what we have heard before, but now I hear it with a new understanding and perspective.
And you know what? it is no longer okay. Not that it was ever okay to begin with...but it is no longer okay to believe or accept the BS women are being fed about how we should look and feel about our bodies. Shame based marketing to motivate you is NOT OKAY. Once your eyes have been opened to make...