Dear Beauty & "Health" Industry,
I would like to share 10 things that I would greatly benefit your business. I believe that it can teach you how to better interact, sell and market to women who no longer want to be or feel ashamed of the way they look.
1. We already have bikini-ready bodies. You don't need to tell us how great we will look in it if we diet and exercise.
2. We are going to look beautiful in our wedding dress no matter our size. Thanks anyway.
3. Tracking and measuring our food makes us obsessed with a stupid number and fosters fear of food, not being healthy.
4. Scales are stupid.
5. There is no such thing as a goal weight - our size does not determine if we are a good or bad person. You're not going to lose 50 lbs and automatically love yourself more. You have to change your mindset and motivation FIRST. If you can't love yourself at 200 lbs, you won't magically love yourself at 150 lbs.
6. Shaming us for what we eat and restricting what we eat creates...
We can all agree that losing weight is the most common New Year’s Resolution and can we also all agree that we are SICK of hearing about it everywhere??
Why has our world become so obsessed with losing weight?
My first guess is because the diet culture has been SO successful at feeding into our insecurities. The insecurities that they have fostered and benefited from. Don’t get me wrong, I am NOT saying losing weight is bad. The obsession with it is. The obsession doesn’t teach you how to be happy, how to be a good person, how to be beautiful, how to be healthy and how to have a healthy relationship with food, body and your mental health.
For a lot of us, when we gain weight over a period of time or even suddenly, crazy things can happen to our thoughts and self-talk. Our inner voice can get nasty, mean, obsessive and sad. This can be due to how you were raised,...