Dear Beauty & "Health" Industry,
I would like to share 10 things that I would greatly benefit your business. I believe that it can teach you how to better interact, sell and market to women who no longer want to be or feel ashamed of the way they look.
1. We already have bikini-ready bodies. You don't need to tell us how great we will look in it if we diet and exercise.
2. We are going to look beautiful in our wedding dress no matter our size. Thanks anyway.
3. Tracking and measuring our food makes us obsessed with a stupid number and fosters fear of food, not being healthy.
4. Scales are stupid.
5. There is no such thing as a goal weight - our size does not determine if we are a good or bad person. You're not going to lose 50 lbs and automatically love yourself more. You have to change your mindset and motivation FIRST. If you can't love yourself at 200 lbs, you won't magically love yourself at 150 lbs.
6. Shaming us for what we eat and restricting what we eat creates...
I remember I went years avoiding turtlenecks.
One of the main reasons was because I couldn't stand having something around my neck that I can FEEL. It makes me feel like I am always close to chocking...NOT how I want to feel in my clothes. However, I found a thin lightweight turtleneck that does NOT sit against my neck last year. I have to say, other then my denim, it is my MOST worn piece this Winter.
Because it is great for layering! I can wear tees, dresses, cardigans and blazers over it. I chose black as it was going to give me the most wear in my wardrobe and I love the classic look paired with a fun pant. See, I have boobs (not big, but perfectly curvy) and I also have small hips, so I like to stay more neutral up top and let my legs be the focus with fun pants. My turtleneck was also a great way to stay WARM in our many cold months in Eastern Canada, as I could still wear it with my tees and not freeze when I put on a blazer.
Next on my list is to find the perfect...
We can all agree that losing weight is the most common New Year’s Resolution and can we also all agree that we are SICK of hearing about it everywhere??
Why has our world become so obsessed with losing weight?
My first guess is because the diet culture has been SO successful at feeding into our insecurities. The insecurities that they have fostered and benefited from. Don’t get me wrong, I am NOT saying losing weight is bad. The obsession with it is. The obsession doesn’t teach you how to be happy, how to be a good person, how to be beautiful, how to be healthy and how to have a healthy relationship with food, body and your mental health.
For a lot of us, when we gain weight over a period of time or even suddenly, crazy things can happen to our thoughts and self-talk. Our inner voice can get nasty, mean, obsessive and sad. This can be due to how you were raised,...
If you live in a place where the air hurts your face, then you will also need something to warm your feet for all the occasions in your life. Maybe you only have one pair that isn't cutting it for work AND the hockey rink or maybe the ones you have a falling a part and you are not sure what to invest in.
So today, I am sharing my favourite winter boots that have kept my feet warm these past few years. I will also be sharing links to the ones I have or ones similar. You are going to be seeing winter boots that are great for every day wear, for work, special occasion and for outdoor play!
On days where the snow doesn't go past my knees, I love wearing my favourite Bos & Co. Belfield boots in Prune. My feet are cold from October to May, so I break out these babies in the Fall because they are a great ankle boot to wear with my cropped pants. I still wear them all Winter long with my all of my jeans and even with some dresses. I fell in love with this colour...
This Fall I decided to live with less and decided to hold off buying any new clothes for the month of October. So, to kick this off, I did 10x10 Challenge and invited others to join me. That means I chose 10 items in my wardrobe and I wore them 10 different ways over 10 days.
WHY? (to find out what I learned, keep reading!)
THE BASIC GUIDELINES
Any core closet item you choose counts as a part of your 10 items. For example:
Keep in mind these are guidelines! If you don’t wear dresses, then...
Have you put limitations on yourself because of fear of judgement over who you are or any part of yourself that you deem “imperfect”?
We have developed a fear of being different from those we have compared ourselves to and have labeled as "perfect". This fear forces us to stay in our comfort zone. Yes, our comfort zones are safe, warm and cozy. So, we put some barriers and limits in place to keep us there. It's our instinct to feel safe and we all have our own individual tolerance for being able to push past those safe guards. I believe in order to feel more confident with who we are and in our own skin, then you need to push past those limitations you have created for yourself. In essence, give your comfort zone the finger.
Why should be push past them? Because that is where growth and change can happen. It is also where you start to feel your confidence grow on the inside, which will start to show on the outside. If you want the next generation to stand up for...
1. Be Comfortable. Wear what you are comfortable in and that represents your own style and profession. You don’t want to be wearing something you feel uncomfortable in or doesn’t represent who you are. Getting pictures or taking videos can be uncomfortable enough. Wear a favourite outfit that is more elevated then your everyday wear. This will help you feel more confident and it will show on camera! You want your outfit to represent YOU.
2. Fit is King: FIT is KING. Get hemlines or sleeves altered. If something is too small or too big, don’t wear it or get it altered. You will feel it and be uncomfortable, so chose something that shows off your beautiful shape.
3. Colours. Go for solid colours and stay away from geometric patterns as it can be distorted on video. I recommend avoiding red, orange, black or white, as they are not good colours on camera. Jewel tones are the cameras friend. Choose solid...