Dear Beauty & "Health" Industry,
I would like to share 10 things that I would greatly benefit your business. I believe that it can teach you how to better interact, sell and market to women who no longer want to be or feel ashamed of the way they look.
1. We already have bikini-ready bodies. You don't need to tell us how great we will look in it if we diet and exercise.
2. We are going to look beautiful in our wedding dress no matter our size. Thanks anyway.
3. Tracking and measuring our food makes us obsessed with a stupid number and fosters fear of food, not being healthy.
4. Scales are stupid.
5. There is no such thing as a goal weight - our size does not determine if we are a good or bad person. You're not going to lose 50 lbs and automatically love yourself more. You have to change your mindset and motivation FIRST. If you can't love yourself at 200 lbs, you won't magically love yourself at 150 lbs.
6. Shaming us for what we eat and restricting what we eat creates eating disorders and an unhealthy relationship with our bodies and food. When we restrict our bodies, our body thinks we are in danger, so it does whatever it can to keep us out of danger. This can lead to binging and then we blame ourselves for “lack of discipline”.
7. Teach us healthy habits in small increments so that we are successful. No more 6-week magical fixes, please.
8. Teach us to listen and respect our bodies instead of ”no excuses” with intense exercise or do a ”to detox”. We are NOT toxic.
9. We don't want to feel shame for having facial hair, cellulite, grey hair, fine lines or big thighs so that you can make us feel insecure in order to use your product or service.
10. Show us all bodies, all sizes, all ages and all colours in the media. Show our stretch marks, show our rolls, show our varicose veins and show us saggy boobs. When we see ALL bodies being truly represented in the media, it will normalize our own bodies and let us know that they are beautiful too.
PS: We would like the next generation of women to not hate their bodies. Thanks.
From your body loving babes.