004 - The Disruption of Miscarriages with Brandy Williams
May 25, 2020
"There is not a lot of information or guidance on what you should do when you've miscarried. I don't think I was even recommended to go get counselling. There isn't a lot of education and support around miscarriage and no one wants to talk about it. For someone that is rationale and I know it's not my fault, I still feel guilt."
Duration: 1 hour:12 min
Listen in new window HERE Listen and Subscribe on Spotify / ITunes
**Trigger warning: This episode shares sensitive information that may be difficult for some listeners**
Brandy Williams is a Registered Dietitian and fitness instructor who joined Beautycounter because they are going above and beyond when it comes to safety, performance and education in the personal care industry. When she faced her 6th miscarriage, she started to do research and looks for the "why". This lead her on a mission to push for greater federal regulation of the ingredients used in cosmetics and personal care products.
In this episode:
- Brandy Williams shares her personal story of disruption by going through multiple miscarriages and shares the truth about how they affected her emotionally and physically.
- Brandy and Amanda discuss how the medical system and education system often fails women in preparing them for not just miscarriages, but their health in general, which can lead to shame.
- Brandy discuss why it’s important for women AND men to communicate about their trauma.
- Brandy shares the benefits she's had with dealing with loss when it happens instead of pushing it aside and discusses how therapy can help despite how hard it may be to attend counselling.
- Brandy shares how her experience led her to learn how our environment and hormones can affect women's mental/ physical health. Proper education and restrictions need to be implemented on chemicals to make sure that people aren't doing long term damage to their bodies by using everyday products.
NB COPES Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/NBCOPES/
Brandy's Beautycounter Website: https://www.beautycounter.com/en-ca/brandywilliams
If you enjoyed this episode, leave a review or please share on your favourite social media platform and tag me!