10 Piece Capsule Wardrobe Challenge
Oct 31, 2018
This Fall I decided to live with less and decided to hold off buying any new clothes for the month of October. So, to kick this off, I did 10x10 Challenge and invited others to join me. That means I chose 10 items in my wardrobe and I wore them 10 different ways over 10 days.
WHY? (to find out what I learned, keep reading!)
- I want to challenge myself to live with less and maximize what I already own.
- I want to spend less. I am not going to buy anything new for one month.
- I will be more intentional and creative with my clothes.
THE BASIC GUIDELINES
- Pick 10 ITEMS from your closet (I am not buying anything new for this challenge)
- Style those items into 10 DIFFERENT OUTFITS
- Use 10 DAYS to do it
- HAVE FUN, don’t stress!
Any core closet item you choose counts as a part of your 10 items. For example:
- Layering Pieces (blazers, cardigans, vest…)
Keep in mind these are guidelines! If you don’t wear dresses, then add an extra shoe or bottom!
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED?
Any accessories you add does not count as a part of your 10 items. For example:
- Coats (for most of us the weather can be temperamental and we need a raincoat or a lighter coat)
- 2 Pairs of Shoes (some chose to not use shoes in their 10 pieces)
- 4 Tops
- 1 Dress (if you don’t wear dresses, then chose an extra in another category)
- 2 Bottoms
- 1 Layering Piece
A few other tips for choosing items:
- For your tops, think about ones that will be easy to layer like a fitted tee or a button-up top, etc… For your bottoms, you can choose dress pants, denim or skirts!
- Check the forecast and pick practical items for the weather.
- Pick pieces that FIT and are comfortable. We can sometimes wear something uncomfortable infrequently, however, you will be wearing these pieces a lot over the next few days.
- Think about your lifestyle and any meetings or events coming up to make sure the pieces you chose will be appropriate for your life. Ex: I have some client sessions, mom life, and 1 speaking event.
- Don’t give yourself too much time to choose or you will overthink it. Some outfits will be winners and some may not. Either way, it will teach you something!
- Going for an easy and a neutral colour palette will make it easy to mix & match your 10 pieces. Think denim, white, black and grey with 1 or 2 colours. However, if going bold and mixing patterns is your thing, then that is cool too!
- Reach for your favourites first and then add a few pieces you’d like to wear more or aren’t sure about. You will learn something new about your wardrobe! You may discover you love it or that it is time to pass it along to someone else.
- Avoid “Dry Clean Only” items or pieces that are hard to launder. I will most likely have to do laundry more, as I don’t like wearing a top more than once. However, I will wear bottoms and layering pieces more frequently between washes.
Here is my FREE Worksheet to print off and try yourself!
CAPSULE 10x10 WORKSHEET
HERE ARE MY 10 PIECES:
- 2 Pairs of Shoes - I chose tan mules and leopard print flats
- 4 Tops - I chose a white tee, ¾ length sleeve black tee, mustard yellow turtleneck sweater and black & white striped button up blouse.
- 1 Dress (if you don’t wear dresses, then chose an extra in another category) - I chose a jersey knit maxi charcoal dress.
- 2 Bottoms - I chose camo print cropped pants and blue denim.
- 1 Layering Piece - I chose a black blazer.
If you want to try this at anytime, here are some other ideas for you that expands on my 10 pieces:
- Change my camo pants for black, olive or burgundy pants!
- Change my mules to sneakers!
- Change my leopard print flats to ankle boots or red flats!
- Change my blazer to a cardigan!
- Change my striped button up to a denim shirt!
- Change my white tee to a striped tee!
Here is what I learned:
- I gave up on only using my two shoes halfway through. Even though my shoes complimented all my outfits, I just wasn't feeling them with some outfits. Plus, the weather started to change and I had to wear boots or sneakers instead. My shoes play into the weather too much where I live to only limit myself to two pair. Plus, I love shoes and I found it very limiting to only have to pick from 2 pair. I won't include shoes again when I do this challenge in the future.
- I LOVED some of my outfits that I may not have tried without doing this challenge. It really forced me to be creative with my pieces. I am VERY expressive with my clothes some days, so I had to find some unique ways to accessories and manipulate pieces in order to show my creativity. An example was on day 4. I had an event to attend for work, so I wore my dress with my 3/4 length sleeve tee. I played around with a few combinations, but I landed on rolling UP my shirt and then tying a leather wrap belt around its hemline to give me almost an empire waist look.
- It saved me time in the morning when getting dressed. Having to chose from less saved me tons of time and made getting ready a lot easier in the morning. When we have a lot to chose from, then it doesn't force us to be creative with our clothes, because we just go for the same old outfits. This definitely stepped up my creativity and finding new ways to style pieces in many ways.
- Accessories are so important to an outfit. I would not have enjoyed this challenge as much if I didn't have accessories. Being able to change a look using belts, necklaces and earrings helped me feel like I wasn't wearing the same thing over and over.
- I will be doing something similar when I have to pack for a trip. It is amazing how much you can create from SO little. I also have enough "dressed up" options and casual options as well, so it felt balanced to be to handle any sort of trip I take.
- Will I be implementing a capsule wardrobe into my closet? No. HOWEVER, I love the idea of having multiple mini capsules in my closet and maximizing what I already own before buying anything new.
- I have a favourite outfit, keep reading until the end to find out!
Here is the breakdown of my outfits over the 10 days:
Do you have a favourite? Want to know mine?
It's Day 9!
Right when I was starting to lose momentum with the challenge, I put this outfit together and felt amazing. At this point I abandoned my 2 shoes in the challenge, which I am thankful for, as my over the knee boots is what helped make this outfit.
Interested on how some of my fellow challengers made out with the challenge?
Here are some of their 10x10's!
I want to end this blog post in saying that I will be doing this challenge again! I hope this inspires you to try it yourself! If you want to incorporate a capsule wardrobe into your own closet and don't know how, then I offer in-person and virtual styling services no matter where you are! For more information check out my services HERE.